Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

4NF4 - What I did to teach it.

Students need to understand that fractions can be a multiple, how to multiply fractions, and solve word problem involving multiplication. This is the process I went through so that my students understood the standard. I listed the items in order as to what I taught.

Lesson 1 We decomposed frations and wrote them as multiplication expressions.

Ex: 2/5= 1/5 + 1/5...decompose the fraction first.  Ask the question...How many 5ths are there? Answer 2, therefore 2/5 is the same as 2 x 1/5.

Lesson 2 We wrote whole numbers as fractions and explained the concept of why it works with division. Students rewrote problems and then proceeded to multiply.

Ex. 3 x 1/4 = 3/1 x 1/4

3/1 is the same as 3 divided by 1 = 3

I showed models as well.

 Students solved several problems in which they rewrote the whole number as a fraction and multiplied to solve the equation.

Lesson 3 We created multiplication expressions to model multiples.

Ex: 2 x 3 = 6 x 1   therefore

2 x 3/4 = 6 x 1/4

Lesson 4 We created models of multiplication sentences.

Lesson 5 We practiced the multiplication algorithm.

Lesson 6 We practiced word problems.


Centers-I created flash cards with multiplication problems that students can solve. They also were required to create their own story problems using the cards and how to model the problems. They also created screen chomp videos that showed if they understood what they needed to do to solve these types of problems.
I will post my anchor posters when I have time. I hope this helps for those that are struggling with CCSS.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/4th-Grade-Fraction-Worksheets-and-Center-Cards-Common-Core-4NF4-a-b-and-c

No comments:

Post a Comment